Thursday, December 22, 2011

Dessert Hummus


So, every year my family gets together the Sunday before Christmas for our annual Christmas Home Evening. It's been a tradition for years. We have dinner, then we read the birth of Jesus Christ from the bible. The kids dress up as shepherds, Mary and Joseph and use a doll as baby Jesus and reinact the story. Then we sing Christmas songs about Jesus and then the fun Christmas songs. After the program we all pile in my brother-in-laws truck and drive around the neighborhood caroling. Along the way, we stop and leave a few Secret Santa gifts. The kids look forward to this night every year. I love that they get so excited to give to others. It's such a warm, fuzzy feeling!

So, to get to the point of my post, I made a dessert hummus that seemed to be a big hit at the party. I wanted to share it with you all. I know not everyone is a fan, but if you like hummus, I think you'll love this.

Dessert Hummus

1 1/2 c. chickpeas (1 can, drained) 250 g.
1/8 t. + 1/16 t. salt
tiny bit over 1/8 t. baking soda
2 t. vanilla
* 1/4 c. nut butter
* up to 1/4 c. nondairy milk (start w/ 1 T., add more as needed)
2/3 c. brown sugar
1/3 c. chocolate chips
2-3 T. oats

Add all ingredients (except chocolate chips) to a blender and blend until smooth. Then mix in the chocolate chips. Serve with graham crackers.

* I used peanut butter instead of nut butter, because I didn't have any on hand. It did taste a lot like peanut butter cookie dough, but it was still yummy.

* It's okay to use regular milk if you don't want to go to the store just for nondairy milk that you'll never use again!

2 comments:

  1. huh... I've gotta try this! Thanks for sharing :) It also sounds like a really fun tradition

    ReplyDelete
  2. what is nut butter? like almond butter? This sounds so interesting. I'm going to have to try this!

    ReplyDelete